Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What I'm Reading and Watching



I want to tell you about this delightful series I am currently reading.  Actually, it was recommended to me from Shelly at Gingermelon (Dolls).  I just L.O.V.E. English mysteries and books and TV series!!!  I am always looking for new English series and Shelly has kindly told me of several authors she thought I might enjoy.  This particular author I am reading now is Susan Wittig Albert.  The series is called "The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter".  These books are NOT written by Potter, but are historical fact/fiction stories extremely well-written by Susan. and feature Beatrix Potter and her beloved animals taking place in the early 1900's.

Here are the titles of the books in the series.

The series starts with the Tale of Hill Top Farm, which is the actual farm that Miss Potter did indeed buy with proceeds of her adorable children's books.  I have read 3 of these books and have just picked up the 4th from my library, The Tale of Hawthorn House.  I ALWAYS read in bed before I fall asleep, so I will start this book tonight!!  If you would like read some charming stories set in the English Lake Country, I heartily recommend these!  A great before-bed book or for when you are wrapped up in a cozy afghan or quilt comfy on your sofa for a little quiet time.  

If anyone decides to read a book or books from this series, please let me know how you liked it.  Or if anyone has read a great mystery by an English author and would like to pass it on, please let me know that, too!

Recently watched on DVD:

English movie-1989

I just watched the above movie, and it was funny with a little romance thrown in.  You need to get past the 80's fashions and hair first!  I enjoyed it.

An older movie, forgot the year.

This is an interesting story, has Colin Firth in it, and has a tearful/joyful ending.  Helen Hunt just happened to have directed this movie, as well as acted in it.  

2009

If you haven't seen the above movie - rent it!  (or borrow from the library like I do!)  It is a beautiful story about loyalty.  It was filmed here in Rhode Island - the train station scenes are in Woonsocket and the house and street scenes were filmed in Bristol.  This comes from a true story that took place in the 1920's in Japan.  There is a bronze statue of Hachi the dog at the train station in Japan, where this story actually happened.  I found out that Japan has a celebratory ceremony for Hachiko on April 8th.  I never tire of watching this movie, it's so well done.  I'll warn you, I ALWAYS cry at the end!  There is a Japanese 1987 version of this movie that I watched today on YouTube.  A 15 minute quick version, no speaking (on YouTube) just piano music.  But same beautiful story.  I cried at the end of the 15 min. video!! 

Most of the time while I'm watching DVDs  or my TV programs, I'm crafting.  I end up dragging all the supplies and tools for whatever I'm working on from room to room.  I can't seem to just sit and watch TV anymore, I have to keep my fingers busy.  Unless I'm soooo tired, then I stretch out on my sofa.  I have, at times, even dragged different projects around with me!  If it was easy to make portable, I did it!!

Off to make some chow, I'm hungry.  We are in a cold snap - and it's really cold!  The wind chill doesn't help either.  Brrrrrrr ...



Have you watched any interesting old or new movies lately???

     

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Sandie! Thank you so much!
    I'll go to my little book shop tomorrow and get one of the Beatrix Potter ones! I'll for sure let you know what I think, but I bet I'll love it.
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandie,
    I stopped by to see your valentines (which I loved!) but then scrolled down to catch up reading your post and saw you are reading the Hilltop Series about Beatrix Potter. I just love those books, and I see I am missing a few! Susan Wittig Albert is a favorite with readers at the library. Thanks for sharing,
    xoxo
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always love to read them!!!